Underpaid Insurance ClaimsInsurance companies lose money when they pay out claims.  They will try their best to deny or underpay insurance claims whenever possible.  Underpaid insurance claims are common for many reasons, including:

  • Failure of the insurance company to complete a proper inspection and assessment of the property damage
  • Improper classification of the damaged property as cosmetic, not as functional or necessary
  • The insurance company using outdated or inaccurate pricing to determine value and cost of repairs
  • The insurance company interpreting your policy to serve in their favor

What Can I Do If My Property Insurance Claim Has Been Underpaid?

If you believe that the insurance company has underpaid your claim you have the right to:

  1. Request the insurance company reinspect your property and the damage
  2. Offer your own proof as to the value of your claim, either through receipts or independent appraisal
  3. Hire your own experts. Quite often the insurance company will attempt to reject your valuation or assessment of the claim.  This is a tactic to try to pay as little as possible in property damage claims.  Insurers will hire their own experts, such as Haag Engineering, who tailor their opinions to support the original adjuster’s position.
  4. Hire an attorney. If you don’t want accept underpayment for the insurance claim you rightfully deserve, you need the help of a dedicated and professional attorney who will fight the insurance company.

What Can A Lawyer Do For My Underpaid Insurance Claim?

We can establish the proof you need to get your claim paid.  Our property insurance attorneys know how to handle underpaid claims.  We know the proof and evidence needed to establish the value of the claim and the wrongful underpayment by the insurance company.  If your insurance claim has been wrongfully underpaid, you may be entitled to the full value of your claim – along with your attorney fees and any additional penalties covered under Texas state law.  Additionally you may also be entitled to treble damages, a law that allows the court to triple your compensation.

Our office can, at no cost to you, refer you to an independent inspector who will provide an honest and unbiased assessment of your property damage.

When Should I Hire an Attorney for my Underpaid Insurance Claims?

Having an attorney is not a requirement of the claims process – but it is definitely recommended.  An attorney can help you understand the more complex language in your policy, assist you with the claims process, appeal a decision made by the insurance company, and represent you in court if necessary.  It is always a good idea to have a lawyer assist in any legal proceedings but you should especially retain a Houston property insurance attorney if:

  • You do not understand the language on your policy
  • Your claim has been wrongfully denied
  • You do not agree with the settlement amount
  • You feel you have been victimized by the insurance company

If you think your insurance company has underpaid your property insurance claim, or you have been wrongfully denied a settlement, contact the property insurance experts at the Fitts Law Firm today to fight on your behalf.  We will provide you with a free consultation, outlining the potential recourse you may have and the legal strategy we will use to get there.  If you’ve been underpaid, contact the Fitts Law Firm today!

If Your Claim Was Denied or Underpaid, Complete the Form for a Free Case Review